Several years out from working in hospitality/retail I am starting to recover from my primal loathing of Christmas, such that this year I am prepared to indulge in some Christmas wishes. These are specific to the party, and not connected with my general and ongoing wishes for world peace, vast amounts of cash, and unlimited gin and brandy. I think those three can pretty much be taken as read.
This year I wish:
This year I wish:
- That the media would pay less attention to Labour tearing itself apart and more to the horrible things the government is doing, so that people realise just how much the government need opposing.
- That our leader carries on mostly the way he is. AFAICS he has only made one misstep; that's not bad in over six months, and certainly better than the last one managed for any six month period of his leadership. It's still weird having a leader I voted for, and I'm still not sure I like it when I'm so used to being a member of the awkward squad, but it's growing on me.
- That more of the members of the Liberal Democrat Group in the House of Lords are awesome like Liz Barker, Kath Pinnock, Ros Scott, Brian Paddick, and many others; and less of them are awful like the triumvirate of horror that is Carlile, Greaves and Rennard. Signs are good for this wish to come true, from everything I'm seeing of late.
- That my fellow bloggers, tweeters, and commenters on Lib Dem Voice start to give each other a bit of a break. You don't NEED to leap in all guns blazing and straw men a-gogo every single time someone says something that slightly bothers you. Sometimes it's better for all concerned just to let a thing slide. Also, if you're writing an otherwise excellent article about how people should be more reasonable, it's probably not reasonable to include a long aside about how all straw men are fuckwits.
- Linked to that last, I have several wishes to do with the Epps/Liberal Youth ongoing soap opera of awfulness
- That the various members of Liberal Youth whom I love would stop being horrible about my dear friend Gareth Epps
- That my dear friend Gareth Epps would stop giving lots of members of Liberal Youth reason to be horrible to him, and ammunition for so doing
- That none of those mentioned above will descend into "but HE/THEY started it!" as a justification for continually being horrible to each other
- That all of them will learn to just walk away, and not leave nasty messages in public about this ongoing childish spat which only prolongs the problem on all sides of this "debate"