- Do something which requires you to have the radio on while you're doing it. Cooking, perhaps, or filling in forms.
- Despair of the shoutiness of 90% of radio these days, and the regrettable tendency of radio 4 to have things like Claire In The Community and The Archers on it.
- Think "It was always nice and restful when I was a kid and my [insert relative here] used to listen to the cricket".
- Stick TMS on, and fall deeply in love with its whimsical wonder, and effortless drifting between topics, all of which are treated with reverence and geekery (today's topics have included James Bond, aeroplanes, rugby, men's fashion, cake and many other things).
- Decide you'd better learn something about cricket so that you can understand the brief interludes when the TMS team are actually talking about cricket, as opposed to the myriad other topics they cover.
The number of people who can be listening to TMS all day and have absolutely no idea what the score is, or occasionally even which team is batting and which fielding, but have learnt amazing things about (for example) what it is and is not safe to feed one's dog, or how Ian Fleming came to name the characters in his books...