State of the SB

Thursday, January 21st, 2010 05:18 pm
miss_s_b: DreamSheep dreams of the Angel of the North (Blogging: DreamSheep: Angel of the North)
[personal profile] miss_s_b
I had my stitches taken out today. I am stitch free. I also did karate and I was rubbish because I haven't done proper training for weeks. But the main issue at the minute is that I have to sell the car. And I need to ask your advice about that.

For various reasons I owe my dad £640, and he needs it back ASAP (within the next two weeks). To obtain that money, I can sell Kaligula (I can cycle to work, and it will be fine to be carless). Kaligula's tax and MOT have run out. If I MOT and tax him I will PROBABLY get much more money for him, but I can't afford to do that. So do I borrow more money and then gamble that I will get £640 + whatever it costs to tax and MOT the car, or do I just stick it on eBay untaxed and untested?

Tell me, oh internet. Give me your wisdom.

This blog is proudly sponsored by

To view this post with minimal formatting, click here. To view this post in your own Dreamwidth style, click here.

Date: Thursday, January 21st, 2010 10:01 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
I would suggest getting the MOT done at least. I think that you'll get considerably more for it with a test, even more if taxed, but a new test certificate means the owner can tax it.

People (generally) are more wary of buying a car with no test - they'll often assume it doesn't have a test because it'll not pass.

Date: Friday, January 22nd, 2010 08:40 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile]
I do. I'd suggest putting 6 months tax on as well, but I think you'll do much better with an MOT than without. I've bought a few cars without MOT in the past, and always paid far less than I would if there had be a valid MOT.

If there's an MOT the buyer can tax over the phone or nip to the visit the post office if they are worried about it not having tax, but the MOT shows that it's not a shed, or at least it wasn't when you got the test done.

If the car is still insured, you can offer to tax it when it's bought, which may help to encourage some.

Date: Thursday, January 21st, 2010 10:33 pm (UTC)
ponygirl72: (Gene/Alex)
From: [personal profile] ponygirl72
I'm going to go the other way, not because I have any idea of the value of having it MOT'd and taxed, but because Every. Single. Time. that I've gambled on something working out my way when I'm in the midst of one of life's shit storms, it's ended up biting me in the butt. Arse. Whatever.

I guess a reasonable question might be, what's the blue book value of the car. Is it close to £640? Or is there already a comfortable margin there?

Date: Friday, January 22nd, 2010 12:13 am (UTC)
ponygirl72: Tucker Aside (Default)
From: [personal profile] ponygirl72
You can use the old AQA trick and check completed listings on eBay Motors for accurate and current wholesale prices. You may also be able to gauge the price difference between 'with MOT & tax' and 'without' that way. Private sale is probably an extra £100-200 over that, depending on the local market.

It's a Ford Ka, yeah? I'm guessing there are quite a few out there in eBay land.

Hope that helps. :-/

Date: Friday, January 22nd, 2010 12:20 am (UTC)
ponygirl72: Tucker Aside (Default)
From: [personal profile] ponygirl72
Oh... almost forgot. If you do decide to eBay, I had a very, very strong response on a car I sold by putting a video test drive (hosted on Youtube) right in the eBay listing. It was an old, old car, and people seemed reassured to be able to see on the video that it started easily, ran, and drove well.

That might also reassure anyone who thinks yours doesn't have an MOT because it wouldn't pass.

Date: Thursday, January 21st, 2010 11:10 pm (UTC)
From: [personal profile] mrs_weasel
I never really know the answers to your conundrums but I wanted to do a drive by supportive cheer for you. *hugs*

Date: Friday, January 22nd, 2010 12:29 am (UTC)
From: (Anonymous)
My advice get both. Because...
You need both to legally drive on the public road if you car is between 3 and 25 years old (unless you are taking it to the garage to have it MOTed). You can't get it taxed without the MOT certificate and there is a fixed £60 fine if you get caught without an MOT.
If you don't have these then most likely your insurance is invalid as well.
Also - I think that simply to be *parked* on the public roads you need both (might be wrong about this though).

From the point of selling it: having an MOT is the absolute bare minimum that any sane person would demand before buying a car of that age except at a stupidly low 'go on I'll give you 50 quid to take it off your hands' price.
Sorry not to be more optimistic despite my thinking this road-tax is generally bad idea thing. [Got no objections to the MOT concept - cars are dangerous, polluting things even now: without MOT they would...well, 'Be unsafe at any speed']

Date: Friday, January 22nd, 2010 12:22 am (UTC)
freddiefraggles: (roller derby)
From: [personal profile] freddiefraggles
You should MOT it. It proves it's roadworthy (I assume it is!).

I also would not buy a car without a tax disc. It's too much of a hassle with a 'new' car to get the disc quickly (so you can drive it away).

This answer brought to you with aid from [personal profile] redhillian. who is seated at my right.

About This Blog

Hello! I'm Jennie (known to many as SB, due to my handle, or The Yorksher Gob because of my old blog's name). This blog is my public face; click here for a list of all the other places you can find me on t'interwebs.

Charities I support:

The Survivors' Trust - donate here
DogsTrust - donate here
CAB - donate here


Creative Commons License
Miss SB by Jennie Rigg is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 2.0 UK: England & Wales License.
Based on a work at

Please note that any and all opinions expressed in this blog are subject to random change at whim my own, and not necessarily representative of my party, or any of the constituent parts thereof (except myself, obviously).

Printed by Dreamwidth Studios, Maryland USA. Promoted by Jennie Rigg, of Brighouse, West Yorkshire.

Most Popular Tags