I didn't make any predictions last year. I should probably have more sense than to do so this year, too. However, I am willing to sacrifice myself on the altar of entertaining you all with how horribly wrong I am about all this.
- Brexit will not be derailed.
Sorry, fellow Lib Dems, and sane members of other parties, but both tory and labour leadership are too wedded to seeing it happen, and we're solidly polling 7% so nobody gives a rat's arse what we think. Some leavers are changing their minds, but not enough, and not fast enough, and even then there's enough idiots on both sides who have swallowed "we must respect the referendum"... We are going to continue down this disastrous road and it's going to be hell.
- Theresa May will still be prime minister at the end of 2018.
Yes, she's awful. But every politician in the land knows what a fustercluck we're in, and that it's only going to get worse, and even the ones that want that to happen want somebody else to be in charge while it does. Nobody wants TMay's job right now because it's an impossible job.
- Donald Trump will still be president of the USA at the end of 2018.
If they were going to jib him, they'd have done it by now. What can he possibly do that's worse than what he's already done? I mean, OK, he hasn't actually started a nuclear war, but he's threatened to... There'll be democrat gains all over the place in the midterms, but we'll still have the orange fascist in charge.
- Vince will still be lib dem leader, and we will not crack double figures in the polling.
Nobody is listening to us, nobody cares what we think, and we're putting out awful PPBs, which I'm actually quite glad nobody is watching. We'll make some council by election gains, which we will trumpet out of all proportion to their relevance, and we'll probably increase in membership again, but not with members who are actually going to do anything.
- The LDV comments section will continue to be an overwhelmingly male sewer of toxicity.
(aside from the odd missive from Catherine Crosland)
- Jodie Whittaker is going to be an awesome Doctor.
They can't afford to fuck it up, so they'll manage not to. Somehow. Maybe with a couple of tiny wobbles.
- Star Trek Disco and The Good Place will continue awesome, but Lucifer will go downhill.
- Season 4 of iZombie will be the last season.
- I'll do OK through January for my new year's resolution, but it'll gradually tail off.
New Year's Resolution is going to be "stick to gym schedule and actually exercise the amount I am supposed to".
- Daughter will continue awesome.
Honestly, I have been so blessed with her. She is so great, and none of the ages which are meant to be troublesome have proved particularly troublesome, so I'm going to predict a continuation of that.
- I shall continue to enjoy being on FCC
It's actually been loads of fun, and I feel like I am Being Useful and Making a Contribution. Yes, it's cost me a bit, financially, and I wouldn't have been able to do it in any of my old jobs for that reason, but now I have that little bit of spare cash, it feels like a worthwhile use of it.
- I shall remember to check for messages before chairing conference debates
(sorry again, Alex H)